On Saturday 10th November, Thrive hosted our Transform conference at St. Martin in the Fields Church, Finham, Coventry. This was a great event for youth and children leaders from all over the Warwickshire area (and further) to come together and receive some learning.
Hosted by the Thrive team with extra help from some young leaders from our Youth Growing Leaders programmes, it was an overall great experience for both the team and the delegates that came. About 75 delegates came from 20 different churches.
The day started with some social time to try and help some of the delegates mingle and chat together, possibly sharing ideas within their separate ministries to help one another. As the first session came around the delegates moved out of the foyer area and into the main church building.
“Very enjoyable, encouraging and you learn a lot in not too long a day, practical and inspirational.” feedback from a participant
- “Starting a youth group from scratch” – Jon Mills from Coventry Youth for Christ
- “Using story telling skills to teach Bible stories to children” – Fiona Stutton from Thrive
- “Helping children and young people with grief, loss or separation” – Pete English from At a Loss
- “Enabling young people to explore God’s plan for their lives” – Graham Hayes and Andy Castle from Thrive
The workshops were well received and seemed to impress the delegates, giving them new skills to bring back to their own churches.
Next was a lunch break with more time to socialise and for the leaders to share their ministry some more with each other. With so many people there wasn’t enough room in the foyer! People ended up eating in the church and side rooms.
“Feeling inspired and re-enthused for the work I’m involved in” participant
- “How to work with those with addition needs” – Rebekah Hayes from Castle Wood broad spectrum special primary school, and Fiona Stutton from Thrive
- “Small numbers, wide age range – how to cope!” – Simon Barker from Scripture Union
- “Recruiting and building a team of volunteers” – Andy Castle from Thrive
- “Teenage Identity and Self Esteem” – Tom Millington from Kenilworth Youth for Christ
These workshops were equally well received as the first set of workshops. After these workshops and another short break the delegates moved back into the main church building for a final session with a lot of time for reflection to end the day.
Overall it was an incredibly successful and useful conference for various different youth and children’s leaders from all over the Warwickshire area and more. Thank you to everyone who came and for your continued support.